Aseptic Technique in Rodent Surgery: Preparation of the Animal
Key points to note
- Clip the fur from the surgical site after the animal has been anaesthetised.
- Remove the clipped fur with a vacuum cleaner.
- Perform this initial clipping in a separate area so that the operating area is not contaminated.
- When clipping mice, particular care needs to be taken to avoid damaging the delicate skin.
- Clean the skin using a suitable disinfectant, for example, Chlorhexidine, either in alcohol or water – but avoid using too much disinfectant solution, as this can increase the risk of the animal becoming hypothermic.
- Alcohol alone is not suitable for disinfection of the skin.
- In both rats and mice, ointment should be applied to the eyes to prevent drying during anaesthesia.