Aseptic Technique in Rodent Surgery: Instruments
Key points to note
- Instruments must be sterilised before they are used for aseptic surgery.
- Ideally, a separate set of sterilised instruments should be used for each animal.
- For batch surgery for rodents, an acceptable compromise is to sterilise the instrument tips using a hot bead steriliser.
- Instruments first need to be cleaned using a sterile brush, in sterile water, to avoid becoming clogged with organic material.
- Sterile water must be used, not saline for cleaning instruments before use of a hot-bead steriliser.
- The instrument tips are briefly placed into the hot-bead steriliser, according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Replace them on a sterile drape, ready for use on the next animal.
- Briefly immersing instruments in alcohol is NOT an effective means of sterilisation.