Module & Functions tableMODULES REQUIRED FOR DIRECTIVE 2010/63/EU FUNCTIONS A AND B AND TO APPLY FOR A UK PERSONAL OR PROJECT LICENCE UNDER THE ANIMALS (SCIENTIFIC PROCEDURES) ACT 1986 (ASPA)
|Function A||Function B|
|UK Personal Licence applicants3||UK Project Licence applicants4|
|Module Title||EU No.||Species Specific||PIL Cat. A||PIL Cat. B||PIL Cat. C||PPL|
|National legislation||1||(also called module L in the UK)||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Ethics, animal welfare and the Three Rs (level 1)||2||(also called module E1 in the UK)||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Basic and appropriate biology (theory)||3.1||★||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Basic and appropriate biology (practical)||3.2||★||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Animal care, health and management (theory)||4||★||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Recognition of pain, suffering and distress||5||★||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Humane methods of killing (theory)||6.1||(also called module K in the UK)||★||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Humane methods of killing (skills)||6.2||(also called module K in the UK)||★||✓||✓||✓||n/a|
|Minimally invasive procedures without anaesthesia (theory)||7||★||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Minimally invasive procedures without anaesthesia (skills)||8||★||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Anaesthesia for minor procedures||20||✓||✓||if relevant|
|Advanced anaesthesia e.g. for surgical or prolonged procedures||21||✓||if relevant|
|Principles of surgery||22||✓||if relevant|
|Ethics, animal welfare and the Three Rs (level 2)||9||(also called module E2 in the UK)||✓|
|Design of procedures and projects (level 1) (experimental design)||10||✓|
|Design of procedures and projects (level 2) (design and management)||11||✓|
✓ indicates the modules that must be successfully completed for a particular Function in the EU and in order to apply for a Home Office Personal or Project Licence in the UK.
- EU Modules from the Common Educational Framework Consensus February 2014
- Functions A and B as defined under Directive 2010/63/EU Article 23
- carrying out procedures on animals
- designing procedures and projects
- UK definition of Personal Licence (PIL) categories (Home Office ASPA Guidance ).
- PIL Category A: Minor/minimally invasive procedures not requiring sedation, analgesia or general anaesthesia.
- PIL Category B: Minor/minimally invasive procedures involving sedation, analgesia or brief general anaesthesia; surgical procedures conducted under brief non-recovery general anaesthesia.
- PIL Category C: Surgical procedures involving general anaesthesia; administration and maintenance of balanced or prolonged general anaesthesia.
- A course for Project Licence (PPL) applicants comprises modules 9, 10 and 11 only. It is expected that PPL applicants will have successfully completed the relevant training modules for PIL applicants, separately, before attending a PPL applicants' course.