Module K (EU6.3) is a module for people who will carry out euthanasia of animals using methods listed in Schedule 1 of A(SP)A (or Annex IV of the EU Directive), but will not undertake any regulated procedures. Your Institution training officer should have confirmed that your work does not require a Personal licence.
This module includes all of the material in Humane Methods of Killing (EU6.1) but also includes articles from other training modules. Once you have read and understood the material listed in the reading list, you will have met the learning outcomes for this module. You will also be given practical training in appropriate methods for individual species within your own Institution.
- This site allows you to track which articles you have read.
- Remember to mark articles as read when you’ve finished each one.
National Legislation (EU1)
Ethics, Animal Welfare and the 3Rs (EU2)
Animal Care, Health and Management (EU4)
Humane Methods of Killing (EU6)
- The principles of humane killing
- Institutional responsibilities when humanely killing animals
- Schedule 1
- The 3Rs and humane killing of animals
- Handling and restraint for euthanasia
- Safety and humane killing of animals
- Methods of euthanasia
- Normal and abnormal behaviour, and recognising pain and distress prior to euthanasia
- Basic biological and husbandry needs of rodents
The eModule below supports Module K training and may be assigned by your course leader.