Home Office inspectors are registered veterinary or medical practitioners.
Their main duties are:
- To advise the Secretary of State on applications for licences, and on requests for their amendment or revocation;
- To advise on the periodic review of licences, including retrospective assessments;
- To visit licensed breeding, supplying and user establishments, and other places where work under the Act is carried out (POLEs), to monitor standards and practices and compliance with the Act and the conditions of any licences. These visits are often unannounced;
- To report all non-compliance and recommend the action to be taken; and
- To encourage good practices and the development of a “culture of care” in the establishment.